Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Perfect Pleated Pants

I have been working with my tailor in developing the perfect pair of pleated pants and I am proud to say that after going back and forth and trying and failing, we’ve collaborated on a really good product. So many things can go wrong with a pair of pleated pants; don’t get me started with the horrors available in the market today. The ones that go up too high make you look like a septuagenarian, the ones are too loose on the hips/buttocks make you look like an infant in diapers, and the ones made of too heavy a fabric make you look, well, too heavy. I opted for a light, yet structured fine wool in black, had two sharp pleats placed on each leg, had it done mid-rise and relatively slim throughout, tapering smoothly down to a slightly cropped hem.

Barba shirt, Hermes belt, watch from the MoMa store in Tokyo, turquoise ring from Manila, tailor-made pleated pants, vintage shoes

close-up of my tailor’s razor-sharp pleating


On a side note, I have been over-wearing this printed jersey polo from Filipino designer Vittorio Barba for the last few weeks. It’s breezy and comfortable, yet looks polished with the button-down collar, and I like how the drape of the jersey contrasts with the structured trousers. Designers, please make more loose jersey polos.

For something so basic as a pair of pleated pants, it’s almost ridiculous how much attention to detail is required to make it right. It must be a menswear thing, eh? Props and cheers and kudos to my tailor for putting up with me.

19 comments:

Matthew Spade said...

i want things like this izzy, tailored as good as your don't exist in the wet north of england!

Gon said...

It's truly a great colaboration! That tailor must really do wonders| your pants look amazing ;D

xx,
Dimogonda blog

Anonymous said...

really fantastic cut! your tailor must be pretty talented to execute such a sharp design. v. impressive!

Tiaz said...

fantastic. You look great here.

Fillipino designer has some of the best creation in the past couple of season.

:)

inkarlcerating said...

where dou u take yer photos izzy? i loooove this look..
i agree. theres something magical when wearing designer pieces.

Unknown said...

nice! i had been looking for pleated pants to rock in my conservative office...

Michael said...

Just curious, how many sizes up did you have to start to create a slimmed-down pleated pant?

Anonymous said...

Indeed a perfect fit! I've been searching for the perfect pair for quite some time now but it seems as though there is none that fit my body type. I guess I'll just have to get crafty and make them myself!
xxx

Unknown said...

waaannnnt iiiitttttt!!!!!!

Izzy said...

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

mat: oh yes they do and one goes by the name of Mat

michael: Not sure what you mean, but I didn't really have to size up. I just went through the usual process of getting measured by my tailor, "mocking-up" the garment measurements with tape, then just tweaking the garment after it's been fabricated. It's a pretty straightforward process, but it does require a tad more patience than just walking into a store and purchasing a pair of pants.

karl: These were taken at my parents' garage in Manila.

we could grow up 2gether said...

looks like a million bucks! wish i could dress all nice in summer, but its just way too hot, all i could stand are tshirts, shorts, and flipflops! like a bum lol

we could grow up 2gether said...

looks like a million bucks! wish i could dress all nice in summer, but its just way too hot, all i could stand are tshirts, shorts, and flipflops! lol

The Shady Chronicles of P and D said...

A pair of pleated pants on a man has never looked better. Congratulations, Mr. Dandy!

Dani

Anonymous said...

Nice watch!!! Where is it from?

Izzy said...

Anonymous: got it from the MoMA store in Tokyo

Jade said...

wow those are perfect

Anonymous said...

That sure is a great look for you Izzy. I just love checking out your blog. I was wondering how many sizes up do you want to buy your pleated men's pants in? I'm just curious so I can have a great outfit like you do.

Alan Li said...

Wow the fit of these are honestly impeccable. I've been looking for pants like those forever, but nothing fits me quite like that.

Aluma Wallet said...

Thanks for sharing this post about your pleated pants. Finding a good pair can sometimes be a challenge, can't it?

Related Posts with Thumbnails