Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dandy Does (Capsule)

I spent this morning at (Capsule), a fashion trade show that showcases high-end contemporary brands, up-and-coming indie designers, and premium street wear labels. It's for buyers (people with boutiques or those who work for bigger retailers like Barney's etc. looking for pretty things to fill their stores with), the press, and myself, the lone, slightly lost blogger who had failed to bring his stack of business cards, hastily scribbling his Yahoo! e-mail address each time he was asked for contact information. It was a delightful experience nonetheless, shedding light on labels I had previously not known of, deepening my relationship with current loves, and causing me to reconsider brands that I had already marked with a big X when going through the list of over 150 and making a game plan for this morning's exploration. I intend to go more in-depth on those designers I've fallen head over heels with in future posts, but here's an amuse bouche of pieces that had caught my eye at the trade show today.

Henrik Vibskov laptop bags, which I would carry as portfolios:

one covered in wooden beads

and another made out of raggedy quilts.


Rainbow Ikat-print shorts from Japanese-designed but US-based Monitaly


outlined clear-framed sunglasses by Phosphorescence

and a couple of their collaboration lines:
with Erin Wasson and Opening Ceremony, respectively


the most handsome colorful suede belt bags (yes, fanny packs!) by Master-piece of Japan

and a backpack in a folksy-knit trompe l'oeil print, also by Master-piece


a map-print shirt by Highland with pajama detailing


a showstopper: Duckie Brown for Florsheim brogues in metallic orange

ridged suede Duckie Brown x Florsheim cap-toed shoes - I like how the ridged suede is reminiscent of lightweight corduroy.

buck shoes in sherbet hues

More to come in the following posts, folks! What have been your favorites so far?

7 comments:

Andrew said...

so much want!! especially the clear sunglasses

Tom said...

I don't normally go for any shorts other than a pair of chino shorts but the print ones from Monitaly are great! Sartorially Inclined just did a post on Monitaly I think.

Phil Lawrence said...

Particularly love the sunglasses and the shoes, amazing!

OH HELL CLOTHING said...

Would actually sell my granny for a pair of those buck shoes. Linked you on my blog, hope you don't mind - i visit here all the time haha

VISIT ME AT LITTLE RAZZI

Matthew Spade said...

wow if this has anything to go by i'm looking forward to the rest.

i haven't been to a menswear trade show as yet, only womens. the womens one wasn't this good!

i'm with razzi, we will sell our grans. i'm loving the map shirt, always wanted a map shirt but never found one that fits. all the shoes are will and the sunglasses are pretty fresh

Michael said...

Those shorts kick ass.

And re the map shirt. I had a leather jacket as a kid with a world map as a lining. The shirt's a little less discrete. I'm not sure if I could wear it.

Hapsical said...

The Phosphorescence sunglasses are really cool.

Related Posts with Thumbnails