Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Shape of Pants to Come

There is a reason for the general absence of skinny pants in the latest men's runway shows. They aren't the most comfortable, nor are they the most flattering on people who don't have pins for legs. And to be frank, we're all just sick of them. Hence, when I was in Manila a few weeks ago, my tailor and I worked together to create the perfect pair of, if you may, "baggy pants" that I will be wearing in the coming months.

Number (N)ine sunglasses, band-collar oversize printed chiffon shirt of my design, J. Crew belt, tailor-made trousers, Martin Margiela shoes

My specifications were stringent: though the trousers were to be relaxed, I didn't want them to be sloppy. I had my tailor have the waist brought up high as he used to do it for gentlemen back in the day, and taken in 3/4 of an inch smaller than my waist size to emphasize the shape. Three sharp, yet shallow pleats on each leg to keep the pants from looking like a parachute, and the hem cut just a little too short, because I like my shoes visible. And I had them made in the same structured black wool that my favorite slimmer pleated pants were made out of. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the result. In color:


The shirt was pretty much inspired by the fabric; I had found the most billowy, lightly textured chiffon in a print a little finer than what I usually go for. I thought a narrow band collar would keep it looking soft and long sleeves would show off the way the fabric flows better than short sleeves would.

the baby-soft cream Margiela laceless lace-ups

In the spirit of clean lines and big shapes, I decided to eschew the noisy stack of metals in favor of one big chunk of watch. (Santos 100 watch by Cartier)

So what do you say, is it time we bid sayonara to skinny jeans?

9 comments:

Simen said...

Hi!

I find pleated pants really cool, and I must say I'm a big fan of slim pants as well. Do you think the slim trend is over and that no one would use those pants next spring?

I know trends are changing, but I must say I feel a little sad when thinking of the slim pants to gradually disappear this year.

Matthew Spade said...

they are perfect man, so good. reminds me of the seeburger's 1920s photography book. well for baggies and have been for a while now, i have one black pair i got a while back though haven't found much to wear with them as yet.

do you mind me asking how much this sort of thing costs you?

Matthew Spade said...

they are perfect man, so good. reminds me of the seeburger's 1920s photography book. well for baggies and have been for a while now, i have one black pair i got a while back though haven't found much to wear with them as yet.

do you mind me asking how much this sort of thing costs you?

Unknown said...

i do have to say my husband was never one to pull off skinny jeans, i think he would appreciate this style so much better! classic

Noelle Chantal said...

Another great pair of pants! I love this one, Izzy. Looks very comfy and as always perfect fit on you. Same here, I'm a bit bored with skinny jeans. Loving this shape, very classic.

And oh beautiful shoes as always! :)

BJ Pascual said...

those pants look fantastic!!! but not on short, pear-shaped bodies like mine!

I CAN'T SAY GOODBYE TO BLACK SKINNIES THEY'RE THE ONLY PANTS THAT MAKE MY LEGS LOOK OK!

naboonies @ dunia fashyon said...

Looking good in those roomy pants. I for one love baggier pants and try to change between skinnies and baggies. The silhouette sure is quite prominent during the recent 2011 Fall show (Dior, Margiela among others used lots of billowy trousers)

Hard Liquor, Soft Holes said...

i've tried for so long, i really have. but i always come back to slim black pants. am going to make a real go of the big pants this time, though.

Izzy said...

BJ and Steve: You two are in the tiny minority with legs made for skinny pants. I say keep wearing them as you wish!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails