Friday, November 14, 2008

Project: The Holiday Coat

Christmas is in the air, inevitably.  I can already feel the slight chill in the air and with it comes the joys and nightmares of holidays past.  

With the advent of the holiday season, social functions are starting to line up.  I'm on the hunt for a holiday coat that I could as much wear with tailored pants and polished shoes at evening events as I could with vintage torn jeans and a striped t-shirt while Christmas (window) shopping.  I'm in the mood for something obnoxiously opulent.

It's going to be tailor-made, no surprise there.  Here are some of my options:


1.  The Tailcoat (Comme des Garcons Homme Plus)
Just the right amount of dandy-crazy for me.  The washed corduroy dresses it down perfectly, although the dip-dyed coloring might be impossible to replicate.  I'm thinking of doing one with detachable coattails, if ever I should push through with this.  Any suggestion on how to do detachable tails?

from Eluxury

2.  The Shrunken Velvet Blazer (3.1 Phillip Lim)
Very similar in cut to my navy blazer, I'm almost positive this is going to turn out nice.  Downside is I might look too much of a fool wearing velvet in the tropics.  And velvet isn't exactly cheap nowadays!

from Eluxury

3.  The Shawl-lapel Tuxedo Jacket (Martin Margiela)
This one features a fully-beaded lapel, which I simply can't achieve.  I think I'll go for stiff satin lapels, my poor man's alternative.  Covered buttons, definitely.  I'm also thinking extra-wide lapels, like this guy:


Proceeds from my Closet-Cleaning Sale will be directed towards the fabrication of this holiday coat. Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you should do the detachable coat tails you could do a buttons or it would look nice to do an invisible zip and then hide it with a flap. Velvet is such a lovely fabric as well that would be nice to have a coat made out of that

alecherdz said...

THE ERY FIRST PHOTO IT'S GORGEOUS, I LOVE THAT JACKET AND THE LAST ONE I LIKED THE BAG =D

fuchsiaboy said...

it would be modern to do it with detachable zips, like the ones used for active gear clothing and definitely hidden with a flap as suggested.

you can try with Zonrox bleach for dip die then re-dye it again with the shade you want. :)

Izzy said...

thanks fuchsiaboy. the zonrox thing you suggested, though daunting, might just turn out fabulous :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails