Monday, December 5, 2011

Dandy after Dark

I was turning a year wiser, and in honor of the great city of New York and of my dearest friends, I decided to resurrect an old Manila pastime of mine: throwing themed parties. I was fixated on the idea of the "Dandy after Dark"---the vision of the dandy tucking away his bright bow tie and donning something darker, ever so slightly loosened up, but still handsomely eccentric. I saw flowers, florals, bandanna pocket squares, and jackets seemingly made out of vellum paper; my friends' amusing takes on the theme made my two weeks of nervous party-planning worthwhile.

lights went dim at the SoHo Grand Club Room

All alone in the city, and bereft of my father's basement parking garage where I usually host my get-togethers, I turned to the lovely ladies at the Soho Grand Hotel to house my little soirée. The Soho Grand's Club Room was perfection: think fireplace, plush leather couches, leopard and velvet pillows, and alcoves, and friendly, snappy service---this is where the dandy would make merry after dark.

covered ankles by Crockett & Jones, exposed ankles courtesy of my winter foolishness

I was conversing with Deanne, but mine eyes were flirting with her Erickson Beamon neckpiece.


I wore a Black Fleece tuxedo, Thom Browne tuxedo shirt, DIY paper towel pocket square, and a large white rose on my lapel.

a Thom Browne tweed plaid jacket with Why You Mad alligator elbow patches on Austin, and a translucent polyester Thom Browne jacket on Brandon

vintage baggy jeans and Thom Browne saddle shoes on Yo Miyamoto

Yo's dandy take on Tupac, a leopard trucker, and a baby bouttoniere

mixed drinks, mixed hardware, mixed prints

tweed over denim and Chris' new 'do

an interestingly dandy take on workwear: a bandanna pocket square stuffed into a jean jacket pocket on Justin Bridges of Tucked Style

Classic and convoluted menswear converged, conversed,

and DANCED.

The ladies came decorated just as lovely.

the braid mohawk and the under-sized academic

the splurge at Alexis Bittar and Mom, get this bag already

green eyes and maroon lips on Sue

Manila lovelies Merryl and Marnee and my tight tight tight tuxedo shirt

DJ Sean Fight Cats' beats shook up our souls

and shattered the glass.


Thanks to all who added a spark to the conversation and shook a bone or two on the floor. And to the Grandlife darlings Lauren, Chenoah, Sam, and Yadira, much, much appreciation!

Until always,
Izzy


6 comments:

chauss said...

happy birthday!!!
xo chauss

Noelle Chantal said...

Wow, great party!! Happy Happy Birthday, Izzy!!! :)

Emily said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! So fun - themed parties never get old!

Six Six Sick said...

Happy Birthday Izzy!
Wish I could have been there with ya'll, it looks like you had a very nice time!
xx
Tiffany

PotteryGuy said...

Hey, so I'm 18, and I swear, these pictures make me feel who I want to be in ten years. Not necessarily as fixated on fashion, but fixated on something. You guys seem like accepting, passionate people. Keep up this great blog!

Izzy said...

thanks everyone!

potteryguy: That's the sweetest comment I've received in a long time. Thanks for your kind words. Keep fixating and keep trying to get better at what it is you do, and I hope you find an accepting, interesting, fabulous group of friends who will love you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails