Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sequins, Spots, and Self-expression

Last Saturday, I walked over the bridge to DUMBO in Brooklyn for their annual Arts Festival: a weekend-long celebration of "the best in local, national, and international art amid the breathtaking backdrop of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan skyline". It was an exhilarating afternoon---think Fashion's Night Out, minus all the tourists; swap fashion for art, and free drinks for food trucks. Expecting that the art set would be a little more accepting than the fashion folk, I decided to wear two items in the much-maligned materials, sequins and leopard print.

Illesteva sunglasses, Junya Watanabe x Comme des Garcons shirt, Black Sheep and Prodigal Sons bracelet, Uniqlo jeans, leopard-print shoes from Lane Crawford

The sequins on this Junya Watanabe shirt seem to be oxidized and almost crumpled, and are embroidered on to the faintly printed black-and-brown batik fabric with very thin copper wire.

This horsehair and leather bracelet, on loan from Black Sheep and Prodigal Sons, has been my alternative to the multiple-layered bracelets, a.k.a. "arm parties" that abound. Sometimes the most enjoyable parties are those you rock with just one else.

Prada saffiano briefcase and leopard-print shoes from Lane Crawford. I don't seem to be getting that much wear from these shoes in today's sole du jour, the Vibram thick wedge. I find the wearable comfortable footwear to be proper dress shoes with slim all-leather soles.

Enough about about my artfully put-together outfit, let me share with you the art my eyes saw at the DUMBO Arts Fair:

sparkling walls

and twinkling rain

light boxes

and backlit black shingles

love you

and f*ck you (It rotates!)

twigs

and twilight.

photographs by Tiffany Gong and Izzy Tuason

5 comments:

Andrew said...

really digging the ponyhair+leather bracelet

and that gold middle finger is made for me I think

Matthew Spade said...

we don't really have much arty stuff going on in our town, it's not a creative place per say. so i'm always interested in hearing stuff like this. freaking heck, i've not seen these beasts before, they make for a good shoe

Stephen said...

That last photograph is really stunning, and I am a big fan of this outfit's accessories.

-Stephen www.stitchesfabricandsoul.com

Fickle Cattle said...

So it's really crumpled intentionally. Interesting. Don't think I can pull of sequins though.

Fickle Cattle
http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

Teemu Bling said...

I love your shoes! Amazing. Been looking for leopard shoes for men for ages, but haven't found any good. At ASOS.com there was one pair that was ok, but it was still kinda expensive so I didn't buy them.

Love your blog! :) Though my own style isn't that Dandy or manly like, I like how you are not a typical male-fashion blogger. Good job

Related Posts with Thumbnails