Wednesday, December 10, 2008

unisex style + dye job # 2

Much as I am fascinated by the blue-collar masculinity found in menswear today, the proliferation of unisex style equally enamors me.  There is much to be said about the sexiness of clothing so genderless that it can be worn by both men and women.  I recently saw this at photo-fabulous Garance Dore and thought, "I could totally wear what she's wearing!"  

Maybe it's the extremely beautifying photography, or her genuine smile, but this woman exudes grace in her non-harshly androgynous getup.  I also love how she wears bright yellow jeans in a non-scenester/nurave way.

I (almost) had everything needed to complete that outfit, everything except for the jeans.  Enter dye job number two.  These American Apparel slim slacks in pale yellow:


were a victim of a clothesline calamity when they were hung wet side-by-side with my sister's purple jeans.  Close-up of the damage:


I was not at all thrilled by this unsavory circumstance, my creamy yellow pants maimed beyond any effort of washing or scrubbing.  So then, inspired by (or in imitation of) the Garance Dore photo, I decided to dye them an intense, saturated yellow.

The uneven marbling effect, though completely unintentional, turned out pretty cool.

Here they are worn:

Dean and Trent henley, vintage Rolex, dyed AA jeans, Vans originals

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

how I'm awfully stupid when it comes to these things but where can I get dyes for clothes?

Giancinephile said...

For some time I was drawn to genderless clothes like this Austrian label called Fabrics Interseason. You should check out the label's offerings! ;)

Somewhat inspired, I think I should dye some old clothes. haha

Emma Homestay Bandar Tasik Puteri said...

that looks amazing! seriously, i need to get some fabric dye. where did you get yours?

Izzy said...

gian: checking it out now.. looks good! how is the price?

naboonies: from the local bookstore :)

Giancinephile said...

hmmm I think they're priced like the Swedish labels. So, I'd say it's more like midrange and definitely not Margiela price points...

They only have limited availability in Asia but I'm quite sure they have in Japan.

Related Posts with Thumbnails