Bow ties are a blessing: they're polished, compact, and unlike neck ties you don't need to spend minutes adjusting the length so they fall exactly in the middle of your belt buckle. But much as I love my bow ties, I know we'll all sooner or later be tired of them. Don't fret, there are tons of other options out there; one or two new alternatives keep sprouting every now and then so I have decided to compile them into three categories: the classics reinvented, the unconventionals, and the DIY's:
The classics reinvented
1. Lanvin feather ties and bow ties - pretty avant-garde (I hate using the term) takes on the classic necktie and bow tie, but I think their lack of poufiness prevents them from crossing the line from precious to ridiculous.
2. The oversized cowl - a play on proportions, worn masterfully by Robbie Spencer of Dazed and Confused.
from Jak and Jil
3. The Lego bow tie - worn by Galahad of Hapsical. There are no words...
1. The bolo tie - Yes, that's what you call it. I've seen it worn well by a couple of people, so I think it's doable!
2. The printed silk scarf - extremely difficult to pull off, you've gotta have the balls.
on Frederic B. of Tales from Frederic
3. Lanvin's deliciously effeminate long silk scarves
Lanvin Fall 09
4. Necklaces as neck tie substitutes
5. Kanye - Can someone tell me what Mr. West is wearing in this picture? Whatever it is, it looks interesting.
1. Velvet ribbons
Naboonies' supermarket find
Definitely not menswear, but I've seen guys rock this look pretty well. Worn by Brook & Lyn
2. The air tie - The DIY that requires the least amount of effort, and possibly my favorite of all the necktie-alternatives mentioned!
on Gustav of ModeMan
on Giovanni at Garance Dore
Anything I missed? Let me know!